Skip to main content

Creator Interview: Frankie B. Washington

Rob speaks to Frankie B. Washington about his career and upcoming comic - Kaijus And Cowboys...



Kaijus and Cowboys is an upcoming comic book series that has been co-developed by Matthew Blair and Frankie B. Washington. Set on an alien planet, a lone cowboy robot known only as "The Hunter" confronts a herd of kaiju monsters that threaten his fellow robots.

For the launch of their comic, Blair and Washington utalised crowdfunding website Kickstarter to bring the project to life. At the end of the campaign the pair had secured funding for the comic and had amassed $3,912 from 157 backers. 

Aside from helping to create Kaijus and Cowboys, Frankie Washington also lends his artistic talents to drawing the 20-page issue. With over 30 years experience as a freelance artist, Washington had had quite a varied career. Not only working on two Miramax movies, he has also worked with an animation studio, advertising agencies, print & comic book publishers, and sketch & trading card companies - and he's also co-creating the graphic novel 'Robot God Akamatsu'


Taking time out of his schedule, Frankie Washington has spoken to us about his varied career and all things "Kaijus and Cowboys"...

Hi Frankie, thank you for taking the time out to answer some of my questions.

FW - Sure, not a problem. I’d like to Thank You for considering me for this interview. 

Those of us who follow you on social media would have seen that you recently attended the Plastic City Comic Con. How was the convention? 

FW - I’ve tabled at Plastic City Comic Con since its first show in 2016 at the Leominster Veterans Memorial Center. I’d done work with Keith Gleason (The Promoter) on his comic series The Mighty Mascots. He asked if I’d attend and I accepted to show my support for his endeavor. I was blown away by the response of that first show and the nostalgia it generated of the bare bone comic shows of the past that I enjoyed attending.

Are there any plans to come to a UK con? 

FW - Unfortunately I can’t see that far in the future. I take pride in being a realist when it comes to my financial approach of attending shows, here in the states & possibly abroad. As a commercial illustrator and/or freelance artist. The assignments/projects that I’m commissioned on are the fuel that ensures the lights/heat stay on in our lives. Travel/Lodge/Table/Prints/Supplies/Food add up as business expenditures that IF not recovered, might lead to a financial deficiency. In short, it can cost a LOT of money to attend show(s) and truthfully they can impact my freelance time schedules, which I can not have. I am focussing more on my freelance work & online auctions. Which ensures that I make gains financially to keep the Art Flowing.


Just by looking down your Instagram, it's clear to see that you've drawn a wide range of characters. What's been your favourite? 

FW - My faves have been THE INHUMANOIDS & LEGENDARY GODZILLA series of art that I was doing prior before Kaijus & Cowboys and other comic related gigs started picking up. I had these wild ideas of doing “WHAT IF?!” scenarios featuring legacy IP characters that I enjoyed as a young teen in the late 70’s thru the 80’s. They would be a homage with a flair of my own creativity sprinkled on it. For now, They’re set aside waiting in the to-do art slot.

Moving into the present, we're soon to see the release of 'Kaijus and Cowboys', a comic that's been created by yourself and writer Matthew Blair. What can you tell us about the story? 

FW - The funny thing is that I’m learning about the story when Matthew sends me the script for a particular issue. When we first started in 2020, we had a concept for a blending of the Western/Sci Fi/Kaiju genre. Once I started illustrating character designs then it began its metamorphosis. Matthew has an outline that he sent me with the overall look of where the story was going YET I knew that an outline isn’t the final note. If you want to make music, the journey is what will REALLY bring the sound together. When I receive my script, it’s always a brand new experience for me. It feels almost as I’d imagine the creator relationship that Jack Kirby & Stan Lee had. Minus the drama LOL


Without going too much into spoilers, what's been the real stand-out moment in illustrating Matthew's script? 

FW - Our relationship began in 2015 on a web comic series called THE SECRET LIVES OF SUPER VILLAINS :  it was the start of artistic collaboration that has endured for over seven years. I would say that Issue #4, which is completed on my side and will need lettering, was the most impactful issue for me. It touched some emotional chords with me and I in turn, told Matthew what I felt. Nothing negative per say but definitely a powerful issue for me to illustrate. I hope the readers can experience something when they get to peruse this issue. 

And how does 'Kaijus and Cowboys' differ from other comic books that you have worked on? 

FW - The obvious difference is that I’m finally doing a homage to the artificial sentient being. I’m a huge fan of Osamu Tezuka’s Astroboy, Jack Kirby’s Machine Man as well as ToHo Jet Jaguar. Sprinkle in my childhood joy of the Wild West, Spaghetti Westerns, preferably Clint Eastwood (Man With No Name)… And we have the start of an interesting mixture. The Kaijus are not strangers to me but in the context of the story. Their role is a vital ingredient that challenges me to ensure that each one doesn’t come off as a “Throw Away Character”.

And finally, what can we expect to see from you in the future? 

FW - I will be returning on the RRParks Ultraman Card Set 3 (Release Date TBD), I just did the 20th Anniversary Cover for Alterna Comics “ It Came Out On A Wednesday”. I will have another Jon Freeman’s Frankongor story under my belt as well as comic art for Peter Simeti’s King Cryptid Comic. I’ll also be heading back into Kaijus & Cowboys for Issue 5 (We have a twelve Issue plan for this series) and finally - More, More, More Commissions for those who appreciate the art I do.


You can also check out the links below for more of Frankie's work...

Images courtesy of the Kaijus and Cowboys Kickstarter page

Liked this review and want to support Geek Culture Reviews further? You can do so by heading over to Ko-Fi.com/GeekCultureRev. Any donations will be greatly appreciated, but more so is the fact that you took the time to read this review Thank you!

Rob Lake - For more comic book and video game chat why not follow Geek Culture Reviews on Twitter and Facebook @GeekCultureRev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafting the Apocalypse with Kek-W

Rob takes a trip to Deadworld with 2000 AD writer Kek-W… ‘ The Fall of Deadworld: Redemption ’ made its return to the 2000 AD Prog this week. While the battle for Sector 13 and the wider city rumbles on, I spoke to curator of chaos, Kek-W about Deadworld past, and more importantly, its future. Looking back, what first attracted you to writing what’s essentially the Dark Judges origin  story? KW - Well, the first four DREAMS OF DEADWORLD stories that Dave and I did were well received,  so rather than just doing more of the same - stories that showcased the individual Dark Judges - I pitched the idea of telling the back-story of how the four of them destroyed an entire world. How did that happen, how might it work? I figured it was a landscape ripe with dramatic story-telling potential. 'Ripe' being the operative word! (laughs) I also thought it might be interesting to focus in on a ordinary family, to see and experience the collapse of civilization  from their point of view and

Rogue Trooper - Blighty Valley TPB Announced

Garth Ennis takes a journey back to NU-Earth… Today, August 29th marks a pivotal moment in 2000 AD history. Back in 1981, Gerry Findley-Day and Dave Gibbons introduced GI Rogue Trooper. As a Genetic Infantry, Rogue is bred to survive the harsh war-torn environment of NU-Earth. Soon betrayed by his superiors, Rogue is forced to seek his revenge while traversing the dangerous battlefield that NU-Earth has become. With the bio-chip personalities of his former comrades as his only allies, Rogue spent the next few years tracking down the Traitor General.  Fast-forward to today, and 2000 AD have announced that ‘Blighty Valley’  , Garth Ennis and Patrick Goddard’s recent foray into NU-Earth is being released in a trade paperback collection. ‘ Blighty Valley is Rogue’s first regular appearance in 2000 AD in a number of years – a thirteen-part story set at 'Night’s Horizon', the annual event where Nu Earth’s orbit carries it closest to a nearby black hole. The Norts call it Zvartchvinte

Comic Book Review - The Best of 2000 AD Vol. 3

Rob reviews The Best of 2000 AD Vol.3… The ‘Ultimate Mix-Tape’ of 2000 AD’s greatest hits is back for its third volume. Packed with an array of specially curated strips,  The Best of 2000 AD series does its very best in introducing you to the world of Tharg, and his Thrillverse. Much like its predecessors, this volume offers up an enticing mixture of strips and feature that draw across all corners of the wider 2000 AD mythos. While we do get a couple of standard trips to Mega-City 1 with Judge Dredd, series Editor Owen Johnson shows us the anthologies more “Tales of the Unexplained” side as things get a little bizarre.  Personally, this third volume has been my favourite out of the series so far. Not only does it feature a Judge Dredd written by Michael Carroll, we also have the debut of Ian Edginton  and D’Israeli. While you’d think that Johnson would of opted to include the duo’s phenomenal Scarlet Traces, he’s instead swapped the Earth/Mars war for the Atlantic Ocean, as we get a mu